Being able to visit another country is a journey. It is a chance for you to see sights you’ve never seen before and it can also be a chance for you to really soak in the true nature of the country and its inhabitants. Sure you could book a well established hotel for your stay, but these are geared more toward mainstay tourism.
If you really want to immerse yourself in the culture of the people and get a handle on family life choose a homestay instead of a Hostel or Hotel. Finding homestay accommodation is similar to finding a hostel. And although homestay accommodation are less popular choices they too have to be booked in advance.
Below you will find 5 reasons you should consider booking homestay accommodation for your next trip.
- Personalized service is one of the reasons that many say they choose homestay accommodation. Because a homestay facility is generally the home of real families there are fewer rooms and the entire family acts as hosts to their guests. These families take their roles very seriously, the best part is you can interact with your host family as little or as much as you want. Often the guests who choose this accommodation come away with a great knowledge of the way the people live and sometimes lifelong bonds are formed.
- There is no better way to experience the true diversity of a culture than living among its everyday citizens. The host accommodations can be found in many areas. You get to choose whether you want to live in a city or country environment.
- The travel books and brochures are fine if you only want to know about the surface of a country. Living in a homestay environment you get to see first hand how the economy works and learn about the local history that you cannot find in any tourism office.
- A chance to experience unique activities, not as a tourist but as a local would view it. The homestay hosts put time and energy into making sure that your visit is filled with opportunities to participate in events that are a bit out of the ordinary for travelers. You may visit neighboring villages, attend services at a local church or attend weddings and festivals that you would otherwise not have access to.
- Authentic Cuisine – no matter what country you visit, you will find that the home cooks do things a bit differently than the chefs at these five star restaurants. Tasting foods prepared the way the locals eat it will be a great treat and often you may even get to learn a new recipe or two. There is no replacement for home cooking.
This is a gamble like everything else, however, with careful planning you can find great homestay accommodation by reading reviews online. Also the area you choose and the type of dwelling will likely affect overall costs of your stay. It is often easier to use a travel agency since they are well versed in the area and they have had contact with most of the people who offer their homes up for hospitality.